What could be more Jersey than rich, creamy Jersey cow’s milk cheese? Cherry Grove Farm raises mostly Jersey cows for its insanely tasty cheeses. Located in the Lawrenceville area, the farm has been all about sustainability from the get-go. Almost half of its grazing area is certified organic. The apple butter is from Wightman’s Farms in Morristown, which grows its own apples and make its own fruit butters. Many “pick-your-own” farms preserve their surplus this way, giving you a chance to enjoy the fruit of summer all year long.
SERVES EIGHT AS AN APPETIZER
(Recipe can be doubled or halved)
1 sheet puff pastry dough, thawed and cut
into 16 squares
1/2 cup apple butter
6 ounces Cherry Grove Toma Primavera cheese (similar to an Italian mountain cheese), grated
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then coat it with non-stick spray.
3. Place squares on baking sheet.
4. Spray square tops with non-stick spray.
5. Top with another layer of parchment.
6. Place a second baking sheet on top.
7. Bake about 30 minutes until pastry is golden.
8. Take top baking sheet off, as well as parchment.
9. Top each square with apple butter and a good-sized pinch of cheese.
10. Return to oven and bake about 7 minutes until melted.
11. Allow to cool slightly — 4 minutes